Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Training

This week was a good week.

I had the opportunity to get out to two live fire ranges where I shot my M9 Beretta pistol and my M4 Carbine. The first range I went to was the Djibouti police pistol range where our Section 5 was shooting. I joined them for a string of fire and I didn't do too badly considering I haven't shot the pistol in about 9 months. Here are some photos of the Marines shooting on the range:


A couple of days later I went out with Section 4 down to one of the Djibouti Army ranges near the town of Arta. It was about an hours drive and we actually hit traffic and got stuck in the first traffic jam that I have seen in Djibouti. Two big rig trucks broke down next to each other on a hill, it was a total mess as all the other trucks tried to get around them. The Djiboutians were actually very orderly, a couple of police directed traffic and everyone waited their turn. (This is in contrast to what we saw in Iraq where everyone attempted to get around an obstacle simultaneously with no regard to proper lanes, directions, or sidewalks.) But we eventually got to the range.

The Marines were working on their Enhanced Marksmanship Program which emphasizes shooting techniques, tactical reloads, and shooting while moving. The ranges are all at pretty close distances: react, acquire the target, shoot, and assess. It is some pretty fun stuff and you generally get a good number of rounds to shoot. The following three photos are screen-captures from a short video one of the Marines took while I was shooting, so they are a bit grainy.


Waiting for the commands from the center of the line. I'm actually standing a bit too tall and am not bending enough at the knees. The Marine behind me has a better stance. I'm shooting my M4 carbine.

Engaging the target. If you look closely you can see the expended shell case in the foreground and another just leaving the rifle.
This drill involves shooting and moving. Its a lot tougher to keep the sights on the target when moving. "Slow is smooth & smooth is fast."


And the celebratory cigar afterwards.

The Marines were great, the heat was up over 100 degrees in the middle of the desert, but they kept training through it all. When they finished the EMP training, they did a couple of MG shoots and then headed back to base.

Any week I can get out and do some shooting is a good week.

DominicsDad, in Djibouti

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

7/22/2006 1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are visitor number: