Wednesday, July 26, 2006

MCMAP

The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP) was started by then-Commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen Jones in 2001. It is a fairly intensive program and each Marine begins the program at Boot Camp or The Basic School, earning their Tan belt there. The old cotton web belt has been replaced with riggers belts, which corresponds to the color that the Marine has earned. The underlying unarmed combat system is a combination of ten traditional martial arts styles. From Tan belt, Marines and corpsmen can advance to Grey, Green, Brown, and several levels of Black (traditional belt colors like Red are not used for obvious reasons as they would stand out in a field situation.) Instruction in unarmed hand to hand combat, instruction in knife fighting and bayonet fighting is also conducted. Beyond the tactical skills, the MCMAP program also stresses Honor, Courage, and Commitment, team building, and ethos.

Of course, us older guys had to receive the training at our current units. Not much of a problem with active duty guys, you can earn a tan belt in a month, training 3-4 mornings each week. Much more difficult in the Reserves where our training opportunities are much more limitied. So I was very happy to finally test out and earn my Tan belt the other day. I've finally replaced my web belt with the Tan riggers belt. So watch out, I am fully qualified!

"Now, watch this, everybody. Grab my arm. The other arm. My other arm. Okay, now watch this. I'm just gonna break the wrist and walk away. Break the wrist, walk away." [Instructor then proceeds to do a simple wrist break...]

From the movie Napoleon Dynamite, here for the sound bite.

Marines practice their skills.

"My name is Rex, and if you study with my eight-week program you will learn a system of self-defense that I developed over two seasons of fighting in the Octagon. It's called Rex Kwon Do!"

DominicsDad, in Djibouti

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You are visitor number: